Chinese Picture quiz - 2Advanced level picture quiz all about China.
1. Crescent Lake is a popular visitor attraction in which province?
月牙泉 Yuè yá quán (Crescent Lake) is in an oasis just south of Dunhuang, Gansu.
2. Where can you find these curious round buildings?
They are ?tulous? the fortified dwellings of the Hakka people in the mainly tea-growing areas of Fujian province.
3. This famous bridge is located in which city?
The Anshun bridge over the Jin River is at the heart of Chengdu, provincial capital of Sichuan.
4. In which province are these famous mountains?
A notable attraction of Anhui is scenic Huangshan (Yellow Mountains) in the south, a very popular mountain range to climb for Chinese as well as foreign visitors.
5. This sacred way to Imperial tombs is unusual for having some Indian-looking figures. Which dynasty does it commemorate?
The Northern Song dynasty had extensive contacts with other peoples along the Silk Route.
6. What were these ancient objects used for?
Spade money was used before coins came into use in China.
7. These individually sculpted lions decorate which famous feature?
The LugouQiao Bridge is also called the Marco Polo Bridge because the European traveler wrote so rhapsodically about it.
8. This building is associated with which religion?
Some mosques in Eastern China were built in the traditional Chinese architectural style. This one in Beijing was first built about 1000CE.
9. This temple in Chengdu, Sichuan is in honor of which hero from the Three Kingdoms Period
Zhuge Liang was the strategist who masterminded the defeat of Cao Cao in 208CE.
10. The distinctive style of this bronze head is associated with ancient people of which province?
The Sanxingdui culture of ancient Sichuan is little understood. It seems the people and their culture disappeared completely.
11. In which province can you find this historic village?
12. These impressive decorated arches are called what in China?
A decorated archway was built as a commemoration of someone important.
13. The great locks at the Yangzi Three Gorges Dam were completed when?
The dam is not the largest in the world, but it is the largest hydro-electric power station capable of generating 18,300MW of power.
14. This is a statue of which Buddhist deity?
The Buddhist Goddess of Mercy, Guanyin, listens to any who will seek her help. The statues often have many (sometimes a thousand) eyes and arms apparently because the order describing the desired form was misheard.
15. This emblematic bronze figure of a flying horse was found in which province?
The famous bronze sculpture found at the Leitai Tomb of Eastern Han Dynasty date has the horse stepping on a flying swallow to further emphasize its speed and grace.
16. Where might you expect to see a set of golden stupas like these?
The Buddhist stupas of Yunnan are similar to those of neighboring Thailand and Burma. It is in an area of the Dai minority people.
17. White make-up of a character in Chinese Opera usually symbolizes what?
Black; blue; green; red and yellow make-up all help an audience distinguish the characters in a Chinese Opera. White usually identifies the bad guys.
18. This ancient bronze vessel is called a what?
The Ding was a sacrificial vessel, originally used as a cauldron for cooking and storing meat. Typically from Shang dynasty.
19. The traditional trinity of Daoist good luck gods: Fu, Lu and who?
Fu Shen; Lou (or Lu) and Shou 福禄寿 Fú Lù Shòu form a trinity of deities giving good luck, respectively: Happiness; Prosperity and Longevity.
20. This heated glass cup is being prepared for doing what?
applying to skin
Cupping is a technique where a jar is filled with heated air and then sealed tight against the skin. The cooling air causes the skin to be forced up into the cup. It is supposed to work by drawing diseases out of the body.
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds