Language QuizStarter level quiz about the Chinese language.
1. What is the word for friend in Chinese?
平友 píng yǒu
朋友 péng yǒu
迎友 yíng yǒu
Both of the characters in 朋友 péng yǒu indicate friendship.
2. What is the Chinese for south?
You will find south in a number of province names including Henan; Hunan; Yunnan and in the city of Nanjing (southern capital).
3. Which word can you use to ask someone to wait
Děng 等 is a useful word to know when traveling; it is often prefixed with please : qing deng - please wait.
4. 小 Xiǎo means what in English?
small or young
Division marks around a small object indicating smallness.
5. What is the Chinese word for walk?
走 zǒu is the character for walk, move, run or hasten.
6. Yesterday is what in Chinese
上月 shàng yuè
昨天 zuó tiān
去年 qù nián
昨 zuó on its own can mean yesterday. 天 tiān 'heaven' is day.
7. The Chinese character for heaven or sky is what?
The horizontal stroke on top represents the sky which is above the figure of a large man 大 dà.
8. How would you say four tickets in Chinese?
四钟票 sì zhōng piào
四张票 sì zhāng piào
四朝 sì zhāo
You need to include a measure word in Chinese; you can not say just four tickets, you need to add the measure word for things that are flat 四票 sì piào between the number and the noun.
9. What is the Chinese word for green?
Both 绿 lù and 红 hóng contain the radical for silk in them, indicating the use of dyes to color cloth.
10. How would you say the year 2008 in Chinese?
两零零八年 liǎng líng líng bā nián
二零八年 èr líng bā nián
二千八年 èr qiān bā nián
The 'zero' is not repeated so it is a bit like saying two thousand and eight.
11. The possessive 'your' is expressed how in Chinese?
的你 de nǐ
他的 tā de
你的 nǐ de
The possessive ' 的 de' is a very common character in Chinese, it can be used with any noun to make someone or something possess it.
12. How do you express 1,000,000 in Chinese?
百万 bǎi wàn
十万 shí wàn
In China, the number 10,000 was considered innumerable and is used to express 'countless' and 'myriad'. Numbers greater than 10,000 are expressed as multiples of 10,000 up to 100,000,000 which would be 10,000x10,000 and is a new character 亿 yì.
13. To make a sentence to indicate an action is complete as in 'gone'; 'left'; 'bought' what can you do?
Prefix the sentence with 请 qǐng
Add 吗 mǎ at the end of the sentence
Add 了 le after the verb
Changing the tense of a verb is easy in Chinese you do not have to learn declension or lots of new characters. Adding 了 le to 买 mǎi buy turns it into 买了 mǎi le bought.
14. The United States of America is called what in Chinese?
英国 yīng guó
中国 zhōng guó
美国 měi guó
美 měi means beautiful on its own, so with 国 guó it means beautiful country. It was chosen as a rough transliteration of America.
15. 三月八日 sān yuè bā rì is how you would write which date?
Dates in Chinese are easy, you just count the number of days and months.
16. 心 xīn means what in English?
Heart 心 xīn is used in many words and characters that have to do with emotions.
17. 晚上 wǎn shàng refers to which time of day?
Wanshang refers to evening and can be transliterated as late up.
18. If you want to attract the attention of a waiter what do you say?
服务员 fú wù yuán
欢迎 huān yíng
谢谢 xiè xiè
The term 服务员 fú wù yuán is roughly equivalent to uniformed attendent in English.
19. How do you bid someone welcome in Chinese?
先生 xiān shēng
时候 shí hòu
欢迎 huān yíng
欢迎 huān yíng means Hearty Welcome and is a common greeting
20. Which character for good fortune is widely seen at Chinese New Year?
The character for good fortune 福 fú has an interesting derivation. It is widely seen on Chinese gifts. Just to add to confusion it is often shown ?upside down?
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds