Paper-cut Index - - Double happiness paper-cut Rooster paper-cut - Spring sculpture - 5 girls paper-cut - Astrology paper-cut Chinese Double Happiness paper-cut
There are many
paper-cuts that contain the character 囍 xǐ ‘double happiness’ and this is particularly common at weddings but also family celebrations. This is the complete Double Happiness paper-cut. These step-by-step instructions who you how to make it. You will just need colored paper and scissors.
It has an attractive circular outline but there are many other forms of it too.
1. This is the template for this paper-cut - right click on it and save the image, then print it out onto colored paper.
2. First print onto your colored paper using your printer. You could print directly onto paper and then use 'temporary', 'positioning' glue to stick to thicker paper/card or other media.
3. Now fold the paper in half along the vertical line A leaving the printed marks outwards.
4. Fold the paper a second time along the vertical line B.
5. Cut out four horizontal rectangles on the right side and one shorter one on the left using sharp scissors. Do NOT cut the small rounded triangle at this stage.
Delicious Chinese foodA fine Chinese meal is a carefully balanced mixtures of flavors, textures, colors and food types. Although Western fast food has made major inroads in the cities there is still a great appreciation of Chinese food as one of the finer pleasures in life. Etiquette at formal banquets is important for visitors to understand before visiting China. Each region in China has its own variations with specialities, the cuisine in southerly Guangdong is very different from that of northerly Gansu. Read more…
Spring paper-cut sculptureA 3-D sculpture of the Chinese character for 'Spring' chūn. This page gives full instructions on how to make this simple but effective art-work. 春 Read more…
6. This is how it should look after completing these five cuts.
7. Open out fold B and then start cutting around the outline of the circle.
8. This is what you should see having cut away the bottom part of the circle outline carefully following the printed line. The top edge, the inner vertical cuts and also the rounded triangle at the bottom are still to be done.
9. All the cuts have been made.
10. Open out the paper-cut along fold A to reveal the completed paper-cut.
You can scale the paper-cut image to larger or smaller sizes and follow the same procedure. As it is only folded over twice you should be able to use quite thick paper or thin card. It's also easy to make a square version - just use a square rather than a round outline.