China Picture quiz 1Do you recongize these places in China?
1. This building is known by which name?
Beijing Concert Hall
Great Hall of the People
Central Cultural Museum
Every province has its own internal hall within the ?Great Hall of the People?. It lies on the west side of Tiananmen Square, Beijing.
2. Which muscial instrument is this man playing?
Erhu is a two stringed violin with the bow string between the two strings. 二胡 èr hú means literally 'two' 'fiddle'. There is a less common instrument with four strings 'sihu'.
3. Where might you find this building of European style architecture?
The old part of Macau has a number of buildings of colonial Portuguese design including the church of Sao Lourenco.
4. This striking church can be seen in which Chinese city?
The Russian influence in the province of Heilongjiang is quite pronounced reflecting years of Russian domination in the early 20th century. The "onion" domes of the Cathedral of Saint-Sophia, Harbin is a striking example.
5. In the pastures of Xinjiang sheep are grazing. What is the name of the type of building used by the herdsmen?
The yurt is made from layers of felt draped over a wooden framework. It can be very quickly moved to another location as the herdsmen follow their flocks.
6. Which game are these men playing?
Chinese chess 象棋 xiàng qí is played with discs on which characters are inscribed so can look like chequers from a distance.
7. Where might you find this famous building?
The Potala palace in Lhasa is the winter palace of the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
8. Why are there nine mythical beasts behind the 'man on a hen' on this roof?
the orginal nine provinces
nine was the Imperial number
nine ancient rites
9. This is a memorial hall to which important figure in Chinese history?
The Sun Yatsen memorial hall is in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province; the province where he was born.
10. Which ancient figure is represented by this massive stone statue?
Laozi the founder of Daoism is typically depicted as an old man with a long flowing beard.
11. Where is this famous pagoda?
It is the Great Wild Goose Pagoda in Xi’an that was built to house the Buddhist scriptures brought back to China by Xuanzang.
12. Which famous harbor is this?
The view is from “The Peak” on Hong Kong island looking over Victoria to Kowloon.
13. Where can you find this famous building?
Summer Palace, Beijing
Temple of Heaven, Beijing
Large Goose Pagoda, Xi'an
The Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests within the Temple of Heaven (Tiantan) complex, Beijing.
14. These objects are associated with which religion?
This form of stupa which often contains sacred Buddhist relics is common in Tibet, Qinghai and Inner Mongolia.
15. Why is this creature so important in Chinese history?
eaten by giant pandas
carries the Black Death
It is the caterpillar of the silkworm moth that spins a silk cocoon. It is usually fed on white mulberry leaves.
16. Where might you find this famous landmark?
Beihai Park in Beijing
The famous White Dagoba stands in Beihai Park and was built in the Mongol dynasty.
17. This demonstration of Kung Fu is at its original place in China where is that?
18. In which month might you expect to see this watery spectacle?
The Dragon boat festival falls on the 5th day of the 5th month of the Chinese calendar. This varies in date on the Gregorian calendar but normally falls in June but in some years it can be in late May.
19. This lovely pristine beach is located where?
Weihei , Shandong
Hainan island is famous as a semi-tropical beach resort.
20. These ruins are part of which Imperial building?
Old Summer Palace
The style of the stone ornamentation of the Old Summer Palace shows that it was designed by European architects (mainly Jesuits) working for the Qing Emperors.
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds