Geography QuizMedium level quiz about the geography of China.
1. Wanfujing is a famous shopping street in which city?
Wangfujing is one of the most famous shopping streets of Beijing; it is located in Dongcheng District.
2. The Changbai mountains are on the border of China with which other country?
Changbai means ‘forever white’ as the mountains have permanent snow cover. The border with North Korea runs directly through the volcanic Lake Tian.
3. Excluding Macau which province has the lowest population in China?
Although the second largest in area Tibet has a low population - and so has the lowest population density of any province.
4. Which province was the most recently created?
The province of Sichuan was split into two parts in 1997, which had by far the largest provincial population. The eastern section of Chongqing is governed by Chongqing and part of the Yangzi river valley.
A horseman riding over the grasslands of Inner Mongolia
5. What is the range of mountains called that separates the Yellow and Yangzi river basins?
The Qingling mountains form an important historic and climatic boundary between northern and southern China.
Luya Mountain in Shanxi
6. The city of Guangzhou stands on which major river?
Guangzhou, on the Pearl (Yu) river estuary, has been a major port for many centuries. Hong Kong and Macau stand on either side of the large outflow into the South China Sea.
View of Guangdong's provincial capital: Guangzhou
7. The Star Ferry runs between which two places?
Kowloon and Hong Kong Island
Beijing and Tianjin
Macau and mainland China
The Star Ferry is a passenger ferry in Hong Kong that is mainly now a tourist attraction. It was established in 1888 when there were no bridges to the island of Hong Kong.
8. Which country ran the island of Macau until 1999?
Macau was governed by Portugal for nearly 450 years. Macau stands on a rocky peninsular on the mouth of the Zhu (Pearl) River estuary connected by bridges to Taipa and Coloane Islands .
View of Macau Tower at sunset
9. Which province is the most northerly in China?
Heilongjiang stretches marginally further north than Inner Mongolia. It shares its harsh, cold winters with its Russian neighbor.
10. Xinjiang is home to many ethnic groups; which one is acknowledged in its official name?
The Uyghur (Uigur) people represent about 43% on the population of Xinjiang, closely followed by Han Chinese at 41%.
11. How long is the reservoir created by the Sanxia Daba (Three Gorges Dam) along the Yangzi River?
600 miles [966 kms]
400 miles [644 kms]
200 miles [322 kms]
The flooding of the Yangzi valley displaced at least one million people. The dam has the largest lock and is the largest hydro-electric system in the world.
12. The Hunza Valley is a historic land route into China, which country does it lead to?
Hunza is in the disputed area of Kashmir but is usually considered part of Pakistan. The Karakoram Highway passes through the valley at the Kunjerab Pass.
13. What do the Chinese call their own country of China
The Chinese people themselves have several names for their own country. 中国 zhōng guó is the official name. It means literally 'middle or central' 'country; kingdom or region' and was based on the traditional view that China is the center of the civilized world.
14. Which is China's third largest province by area?
Inner Mongolia is surprisingly large, it marks an important buffer zone beyond the Great Wall and is partly covered by the Gobi desert.
Chongqing inner ring expressway around the main city
15. Sanjiangyuan Three Rivers National Park is the source of which major rivers
Mekong; Yellow and Yangzi
Mekong; Yellow and Pearl
Li; Yellow and Yangzi
Sanjiangyuan is a large area in south-eastern Qinghai province with the Mekong eventually heading south, the Yangzi east and the Huang he (Yellow) river north.
16. What is the name of the Chinese currency?
The distinction between the name of the currency ( 人民币 rén mín bì) and the units (元 yuán) is like the difference between the British term sterling for the currency and pound as the unit.
17. Which of these countries does NOT have a land border with China?
Laos has a very short land border with the Peoples Republic, Northern Thailand comes within 100 miles [161 kms] of the Chinese border in Yunnan.
Nalati grassland near Yining, Xinjiang
18. The Yu (or Yuyuan) gardens are a famous spot in which city?
Shanghai's Old Chinese City has the narrow alleys, temples and markets typical of an old Chinese town. It has the famous traditional ?Yu Gardens? which were originally built in 1537.
19. What is the average height of the Tibetan plateau?
16,500 feet [5,029 meters]
9,500 feet [2,896 meters]
14,500 feet [4,420 meters]
The high altitude of Tibet makes breathing difficult. Winters are harsh and summers cool and short.
Qinghai-Tibet railway near mountains at Golmud, Qinghai
20. Which of these provinces is NOT considered part of the region of Manchuria?
The homeland of the Manchu people is spread along the Liao river, surrounded by mountains on three sides and the North China Sea to the south-west.
A Siberian tiger walking on snow, Heilongjiang
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds
Copyright © Chinasage 2012 to 2019
Downloading information about character
Downloading information about character