General quiz about China 3Intermediate level quiz about the geography, history, traditions and language of China (3)
1. Which one of these is not one of the four treasures of the scholar?
The Four Treasures of the Scholar 文房四宝 wén fáng sì bǎo are: ink stick; ink stone; brushes; and paper (bǐ mò zhǐ yàn). Also usually needed are the seal (or chop); cinnabar paste and a pen-stand in the traditional form of a mountain.
2. Qigong martial art concentrates on particualar control of what?
3. The earliest printed book was produced in China in which year?
The earliest known printed book is the Diamond Sutra printed in 868CE. It was discovered at Dunhuang in 1907. It is now held at the British Library, London.
4. The Shanghai Cooperation Organization is what?
Enivornmental action group
Organize Yangzi River monitoring and management
Municpal council for Shanghai
Group of Eurasian nations
5. What was the nationality of the ambassador killed in Beijing at the time of the Boxer Rebellion?
Klemens Freiherr von Ketteler was killed on 20th June 1900 at the height of the Boxer Rebellion. This marked the start of the ‘Siege of the Legations’ in Beijing which lasted 55 days before a combined Allied force fought their way into Beijing to rescue the staff of the embassies.
6. Richard Nixon, US President visited Mao Zedong in which year?
The historic meeting took place between February 21st and 28th 1972. Henry Kissinger and Zhou Enlai worked behind the scenes to make the historic visit possible
7. The blue color of Ming porcelain comes from which chemical element?
Cobalt in the form of Cobalt aluminate and carbonate produce the intense blue color glaze of Ming porcelain. It was taken up later in the production of Delftware which tried to copy the Chinese technique. The cobalt was mined in Persia (present day Iran).
8. Hong Kong Island became a U.K. possession in which year?
9. The Yellow River has its source in which province?
Qibnghai province is the source of both the Yangzi (known in China as Chang Jiang and Tongtian He in its upper reaches) and also the Huang He (Yellow River), the two great rivers of China. The mighty Mekong river also rises in the south-east of Qinghai. The area sourcing these three great rivers is designated the Sanjiangyuan: Three Rivers National Park.
10. Jade was historically mined from which range of mountains in China?
11. The Altay mountains are on the border of China with which country?
12. The length of Mao's Long March was equivalent to what distance?
New York to Miami
New York to San Francisco and back
Austin, Texas to New York and back
New York to San Francisco
The Long March of 1935 of the beleaguered Chinese communists was epic. It started in Jiangxi province and meandered its way through western China until eventually reaching Shaanxi losing about 60,000 marchers dwindled down to 7,000 along the way. It totalled about 6,000 miles. San Francisco to NY is about 3,000 miles (NY to Miami: 1,300; NY to New Orleans 1,300; NY to Austin 1,700; Paris to Moscow 1,800 miles).
13. The tea plant is a close relative of which ornamental plant widely grown for its flowers?
14. The Grand or Emperor's Canal linked which two Chinese cities?
Nanjing and Beijing
Xi'an and Jinan
Xi'an and Beijing
Hangzhou and Beijing
15. The Battle of Yijiangshan Islands took place between which two combatants?
Japan and China
Britain and China
Korea and China
Republicans (KMT) and Communists (PLA)
16. The governing philosophy of the Qin dynasty was what?
17. Sima Qian was famous as what?
Sima Qian provided a great deal of detail on the founding days of the Chinese nation, it was the template for historians writing about all the dynasties that followed. He lived in the early Han dynasty [135-86BCE]. Each dynasty afterwards produced a 'Standard History' based on his template. He set high standards in scholarship for example when he found conflicting reports of events he included all the alternatives rather than choosing just one of them.
18. Which of these is NOT one of the Five classics of Chinese literature
Dream Pool Essays
Spring and Autumn Annals
Book of Rites
Book of history
The five classics were the basis of scholastic study in the Confucian tradition. To pass the Imperial Examination students needed to learn them by heart.
19. Wang Xizhi is most famous as what?
20. The Tiananmen Incident of 1989 occurred after the death of which leader?
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds